MDStreetScene  

Go Back   MDStreetScene > The MDSS Market Place > Automotive For Sale > Cars For Sale

Cars For Sale Have a car for sale? Post it here!

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #61
blackout23
Street Scene Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
blackout23 is an unknown quantity at this point
one thing that hasn't been brought up... this car is a gtr, most of the ones i've seen for sale in the states are gts-t's, and most of them aren't even that clean. definitely a different animal- awd, "276 hp" 2.6 twin turbo i-6 for this vs. rwd, 250hp 2.5 single turbo i-6 for the gts-t. my brother bought a gts-t in okinawa for 5k... i HIGHLY doubt you'll find a gtr in the states for anywhere remotely close to that.

the cost is dictated by supply and demand. there is no real supply for this car in the us market, so he can charge whatever someone's willing to pay. would any of you scoff at someone asking 20k for an e30 m3 with similar mileage and condition? and i'd put my money on an r32 skyline outperforming, drawing more interest, and being more reliable than an e30 m3... and the m3's were sold in the states. not to mention the motors in these things are nearly identical throughout the r32-r34 model range, and capable of well into the 600-700 hp range on stock internals...

pretty decent price for a nice car imo... just not much of a market for it on this board apparently.
blackout23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #62
UCANTRY
Street Scene Veteran

UCANTRY has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Skylines are rare in the US with a title. The price is a decent price. Like a Supra people hate on these cars because they are untouchable unless you have cash in hand or can get a personal loan because your not getting a car loan after 8-10 yrs olds. People hate on things they cant have. Just the facts. I only have one because I have been trading cars for years.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #63
Enzo_Guy
Street Scene Tuner

Enzo_Guy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCANTRY View Post
Skylines are rare in the US with a title.
I was going to keep quiet on this one, but I know a thing or two about importing these cars and they aren't as rare as people believe (at least the illegal ones). You have two methods of importation, and I'm not sure which this car has so I will add my two cents on Skyline legality so the buyer understands what to look for.

Federally legal Skylines:
RARE AS HELL! Federally legal means all appropriate DOT and EPA documentation stating the car has had the specified conversion procedures performed by an imported registered with the NHTSA. Short of this documentation, this car is not legal and the government can seize the vehicle at any time they wish without reimbursement to the owner (it has happened, back in 2008 they nabbed over a hundred that were illegal). The biggest importers of these cars was (and I say was because they are now defunct) Motorex, if the car has Motorex documents it is legal according to the federal government. Of the Motorex GT-R cars the R32s are pretty rare and generally bring $25-35K, R33s are the easiest to find but command $35-50K, R43s are the rarest and can fetch $60K+ with all the right papers.

How to import one and make it federally legal:
Don't bother, you can't and won't be able to do it. The DOT mandates that the only Skylines allowed to be imported after the Motorex fiasco are the '96-'98 R33s and then they still have to be converted to comply with FMVSS (expensive). However, where you will run into the biggest problem is with the EPA: they require all cars made in '96 and after to be equipped with OBD2 and that system does not exist in Japan. The only company I know of capable of doing an OBD2 install on a '96-'98 R33 is JK Technologies in Baltimore, but they are rumored to charge six figures for the conversion process if you can convince them to do it all. A few special editions (notably one of the Tommy Kaira R33 GT-Rs) have snuck in under the NHTSA's show car exception, but it is clearly stated that this exception cannot be applied to regular production GT-R and GTS-t cars. People have been bringing in the 4-door and non-turbo cars claiming they are federally legal, but I'm not entirely sure on how truthful that is.

State legal Skylines:
These account for 80-90% of the Skylines you see for sale. THEY ARE NOT FEDERALLY LEGAL AND CAN THEREFORE BE SEIZED AND CRUSHED AT ANY TIME BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT. Where people run into problems is that these cars have actual titles and proof of insurance and, for all normal intents and purposes, look perfectly legal to the uninformed buyer. However, they were never brought in with the proper paperwork from the DOT and usually do not meet FMVSS standards. Where this can present a problem is that if one were to get into an accident and the owner's insurance realizes the car does not meet FMVSS they can drop the policy leaving the owner completely liable for all damages. Not a good day. Then the owner may even be pursued for insurance fraud. And I don't even want to think about what might happen if word got to the Feds, the owner may never see that Skyline again. All of a sudden the car with a real title and insurance information isn't so legal (and may not be so real for much longer if the Feds crush it).

How state legal Skylines come in:
There are many ways, but the kit car method is popular, as is VIN swapping. A kit car method is where the car is broken down into parts in a foreign country or US territory, it is brought over in pieces and reassembled after entering the US, then it is registered and titled in a state where inspection and emissions are not necessary (usually Florida or one of the Carolinas, but I have seen them pop up in several states). The trick is they register as if the car was assembled as a kit car much like a Shelby Cobra kit, but there are problems with this. In kit car fine print the vehicle must meet FMVSS, which Skylines usually don't. The fine print of kit car registration also states that the car must not have ever been manufactured in mass production form, which the Skyline was manufactured in mass production form therefore it does not qualify for this registration. VIN swapping is another method, it's where the VIN is ripped off a junked 240SX and dropped onto a Skyline; the Skyline is then registered as a 240SX and the VINs match. I don't think I need to explain why that method is illegal.

Kaizo cars:
This is currently a gray area. Kaizo remanufactures and modifies the car enough so that it is no longer considered a Nissan to the US government, they then pull off all the parts that the DOT doesn't like and bring in the Skyline shells. Where they really wash their hands of any liability is that they sell a "Kaizo shell" for use as a kit car, it is legally a kit car at this point (much like buying a Noble M12) and the buyer is responsible for providing their own drivetrain to meet the EPA standards in their area. They are federally legal in the sense that they are a loophole, but they also command a high price and are VERY rare.

Where this particular R32 GT-R sits on the spectrum I have no idea, but that is the basic information behind the importation of Nissan Skyline GT-Rs and GTS-ts. Not as simple as you originally thought, is it?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:29 AM   #64
WhosUrBuddie
MDSS Premium Member

WhosUrBuddie is just really niceWhosUrBuddie is just really niceWhosUrBuddie is just really niceWhosUrBuddie is just really niceWhosUrBuddie is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
Let me know next time you know of a 1.3 Liter that makes 232hp N/A at the crank.
1.3 Liter cars are for commuting not racing.
WhosUrBuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #65
Enzo_Guy
Street Scene Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBass View Post
Let me know next time you know of a 1.3 Liter that makes 232hp N/A at the crank.
Piston>rotary

Mighty Engine pwns all!
Old 04-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #66
Enzo_Guy
Street Scene Tuner

Kaizo Update:
All Kaizo imported vehicles were seized for being illegal a few months ago.
http://jalopnik.com/5371967/feds-sei...-gt+rs-in-cali

Be careful when shopping for a Skyline.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 PM   #67
Dagestan
Street Scene Veteran

Dagestan is infamous around these parts
mr.enzo i though you had a guys who might be interested in buying my sky?
Dagestan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:21 PM   #68
Enzo_Guy
Street Scene Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagestan View Post
mr.enzo i though you had a guys who might be interested in buying my sky?
I don't have anyone interested in buying a "state legal" vehicle, which is what yours is. I can very easily go into more detail about our private discussion, but I don't think you want me to do that in your advertisement.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #69
Dagestan
Street Scene Veteran

oh well thanks pal, now that you brought up that illegal crap i might aswell keep the car

anyway if someone WANTS it they will BUY it, i do understand that you have no mnoney for this car and its ok, and stop spamming my sale
Old 04-05-2010, 03:34 PM   #70
Dagestan
Street Scene Veteran

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo_Guy View Post
I don't have anyone interested in buying a "state legal" vehicle, which is what yours is. I can very easily go into more detail about our private discussion, but I don't think you want me to do that in your advertisement.

youre making our small talk sound so suspicious my freind, well i am open person and you can post it right here so everyone can see and read it

Tags
jdm, r32, skyline